A place to record the things that my brain comes up with.

12 December 2007

Santa's Using Zebras Now

For all of those who read Clark's blog, but don't want to go to the trouble of googling up the lyrics yourself:

Santa's using zebras now
to pull his Christmas sleigh
'cause a boy in Africa
wrote to him one day.
"Santa please stop by," he said,
"and bring some toys with you."
Santa's using zebras now
south of Timbuktu.

Donner, Blitzen, all the reindeer
put him on the spot -
they were used to ice and snow
but Africa was hot!
Then some zebras came along
and they pulled Santa through.
Santa's using zebras now
south of Timbuktu.

See the pyramids to by
and there's the Nile below.
Watch out for that tall giraffe;
mustn't fly too low.
Hello hippopotamus
the season's joy to you!
Hello Mr. Crocodile
merry Christmas too!

As they gallop over jungles
lions stop and stare,
wonderin' what those zebras could be
doing way up there.
While the reindeer wait for him
back home in their igloo,
Santa's using zebras now
south of Timbuktu.

6 comments:

  1. Its great to see these lyrics here. I have been searching for them for a while....I had learnt this song around 10 years ago and was trying to figure out the word...and thanks to you its all coming back..thanks alot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found the lyrics! Now I need the music...was it to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer? I'm a first grade teacher and want to perform this song for our Christmas program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has a unique melody, as far as I know. Wish I could be more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in a very musical family and I remember my mom playing this song on the piano and all of us kids surrounding her singing along. I can see if my mom still has this music if you're interested. I still to this day can sing the melody in my head. We always had so much fun with this one. If you're interested in getting the music, email me at kat3436@aol.com and I can check with my mom to see if she can record it for you or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are still looking for the music to this song, contact Elizabeth Taylor at Farrer Elementary School in Provo Utah. She is the music teacher there and the second graders are doing it for there christmas program, maybe she can fax you a copy of the music. That way you will have the name of the composer, and will be able to order the original music at a later date. Hope this helps. The second graders are loving this song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to sing this with the kids in Oracle, AZ. I was the fourth grade teacher. Every year, the first day of Dec., kids of all ages would meet in my classroom after school. We would practice every night until Christmas break. Then we'd meet at my house and go caroling. I miss those days. The last time I did that was 1984.

    ReplyDelete