A place to record the things that my brain comes up with.

01 April 2008

April already?!

Surely this is some perverse sort of April Fool's joke. I wasn't even done with February yet, let alone March. Where is the backspace button on my life? Ctrl+left arrow, maybe? Rewind? Do over?

Anyway, time races on and I only blogged twice in March. Work continues to be crazy busy, and I continue to be crazy. I've had some interesting emails back-and-forth with Clark, which perhaps I'll blog in the next day or two. I suppose that "interesting," in this context, is really a relative term. They're basically trivia and equation questions that we've asked each other.

But I think they sum up how Clark and I operate rather well. To wit, here is our text conversation from yesterday:

Me: Which high school did [Nobel laureate in physics Richard] Feynman go to?
Clark: Far Rockaway.
Me: OK.

No explanation asked for or needed. Just one of those questions. Like this text conversation with Elliott:

Me: Can you moonwalk?
Elliott: Not well, no.
Me: OK.

No one ever really seems to wonder why I ask these things. Just comes with the territory when you hang out around me long enough, I guess.

Regarding the Feyman question, though: I was reading a book I got for Christmas, The Last Shot, about Stephon Marbury and a bunch of Coney Island projects kids who were trying to get into college to play basketball. It mentioned in the book that their high school was way sub-par academically, but in the past two Nobel laureates in physics had graduated from there. Knowing that Coney Island is next to Brooklyn, and that Feynman was from Brooklyn, I was trying to figure out if he was one of them. Guess not. But maybe Clark knows who they are.

What a fun trivia question that would be: NBA player Stephon Marbury and which Nobel laureates all graduated from Abraham Lincoln High School in New York City?

5 comments:

  1. I was fairly curious as to why you wanted to know about Feynman, but not enough so to ask.

    As for Abraham Lincoln HS, their wikipedia page lists 3 Nobel prize winners, none in Physics. Jerome Karle and Paul Berg both won in Chemistry and Arthur Kornberg won in Medicine.

    The high school also has a slew of other famous alumni including: Marv Albert, Mel Brooks, Arthur Miller, Neil Sedaka and "The Tokens" (sang "The Lion Sleeps Tonight").

    This makes me wonder what is wrong w/ our alma mater. Despite having been around for 40+ years, all we have have (according to wikipedia) 3 NFL players (who have played a total of 51 games, combined, in the NFL), Richard Dutcher (God's Army guy) and Corbin Allred. So, in other words, probably no one you'd have ever heard of if you aren't LDS and from Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it did just say Nobel laureates, and didn't specify in which subject. I forget.

    I'm not too surprised that no headliners have come out of Hillcrest. But don't diss on Corbin - he had his own sitcom, you know! And he was in a movie that was turned into one of the best MST3K episodes ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I never thought to Google my alma mater (Carl Sandburg High School). I just found out that Bill Rancic (Trump's first Apprentice) was a senior when I was a freshman. Off to check the yearbook...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is pretty random. Have you heard back anything about jeopardy yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No news yet - I will either be invited to come on the show some time in the next 18 months, or I won't.

    Trust me, when there's news, everyone will know it. :)

    ReplyDelete