A place to record the things that my brain comes up with.

16 September 2008

Fish

So, I have been making a tentative foray into the field of fish . . . owning. Fish-tankery. I've got this great bow-fronted glass fish tank in my office, 35 gallons, and it seems a shame to waste it. It's full of water, it's got gravel in the bottom, nice decorative chunk of wood in there. All ready to go. Bunch o' snails keeps the glass clean.

I can't get a fish to live in it.

Well, not exactly. I had a fish in there that I pulled out of a creek in Park City. I think he was a mosquito fish - the kind you put in your backyard pond to eat the mosquito larvae - and he lived in there for nearly a year, all on his own. Just him and the snails. During that time I think I cleaned the tank twice, but he was very happy and swam all over and came up to the top to get fed and everything.

Then I went on vacation to Colorado and he vanished. I think he may have died and been flushed by someone who won't own up to it, but the mystery lingers.

So anyway, after this happened I decided to get serious about this fish business. I cleaned the tank, vacuumed out all of the gunk, gave the filter some serious time and elbow grease, hauled around more 5-gallon buckets of water than I care to think about, and finally had a sparkly clean tank fit for vertebrates to live happy lives.

I went to PetCo, and bought some beautiful fantail goldfish. I like them a lot. So I got three of them and put them all in the tank. They swam around, very happy. All week, happy fish. I go home for the weekend, come back . . . dead fish.

Sigh.

So, cleaned the tank again. Replaced water. Let the water age so there wouldn't be chlorine. Bought a new light bulb for the light that had stopped working. Went to Wal-Mart, bought some wonderful little pearl scale goldfish, nice fat round ones that could barely move and were round like golf balls. Great fish. They swim around, all happy, I go home for the night, come back . . . dead fish.

Sigh.

But one of them lived! So I had one lonesome fish. I also had bought a ghost shrimp that accidentally got scooped up with the goldfish at the store. After he was put in the tank (and named Agadore), he was never seen again. I don't know; maybe he's still in there.

So I have one fat cute fish who seems pretty content with his lot in life. I went home for the weekend, come back . . . dead fish.

COME ON!! This is just crazy. How do fish even live at all? They're like the houseplants of the animal kingdom. (I can't keep houseplants alive either.)

So now I have a very nice empty fish tank. Well, not quite empty. When they scooped up my pearl scale goldfish and accidental shrimp, they also scooped up two tiny baby fish. They're each a little more than a quarter of an inch long. These two little fry are swimming around quite happily in their humongous empty tank, apparently healthy.

So I guess what I've learned from the experience is this: fish that you pay for will die the moment you walk out of the room. But free fish . . . free fish are happy to live for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment