A place to record the things that my brain comes up with.

18 September 2008

Math skills

For years, I have maintained that I am not very good at math. I cannot do matrices without specific, detailed instructions for every single problem. I sometimes transpose digits. Geometry and trigonometry I can do. I think because there are pictures.

Anyway, I just found this interesting article on the New York Times website, about two main different types of math: approximation, and calculation. Approximation is what you use when you glance up and down the check-out lines at the store and decide which one to join. Calculation is how you figure out exact math.

This article reminded me a lot about some of the posts on Clark's blog, approximating how many balloons it will take to fill the room, etc.

Along with the article, they have a test you can try to see how good your approximating skills are. I got 100% on 25 tests, so I am a good guesser! I think a calculation test would yield far different results. (See: academic decathlon math test)

2 comments:

  1. Well, you're apparently better at math than I am! I got 84% on 25 tests. I felt that the yellow spots were brighter than the blue. 5 of my 6 misses were from over estimating the number of yellow spots as my eye was drawn to them.

    I think my balloon post still falls in the realm of calculation, not approximation. I approximated key values, and then calculated a result. When the calculation was too difficult, I made a known, chosen, controlled adjustment to the numbers to achieve an easier result. But it was still very number based. But I suppose the neuroscientists and sociologists know more about math than I do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in many cases the yellow spots were larger, but the blue dots were more numerous. So maybe there was more yellow area, but fewer dots.

    ReplyDelete