A place to record the things that my brain comes up with.

21 October 2006

Colorado (Mis)Adventure

This afternoon we didn't have any plans, so Carrie, Clark, Shannon and I all got in my car to go to Florence and visit all of the antique shops (of which there are about 12). I drove along highway 115 from Canon City to Florence and was approaching a bend in the road when a little blue Geo came whipping around the corner, driving in the wrong lane on the two-lane road. My lane.

I was driving kind of slow because I'm not familiar with the area, but she didn't react very quickly. She looked up and saw us, but didn't move over. I slammed on my brakes and tried to pull over onto the shoulder, but she swerved too late and she hit us. All down the driver's side. My entire rear wheel is gone. Gone.

No one was hurt, in our car or hers. The car behind us stopped and waited for police to come, as witnesses to the accident. All of the debris and the spot of impact were all in my lane, so there is no doubt as to who was at fault here.

What remains is that I am in Colorado and my car has essentially been totalled (no official word on that yet) and I have to get home. I do have all my insurance information here with me, and they will reimburse $25 per day for a rental car, so it looks like I will be renting a car to drive home on Monday.

Poor Johnny! My wonderful, beautiful CR-V. I made a payment on it Monday - I had less than 10 months before he was paid off. I just rotated the tires and changed the oil on Monday . . . and now he's gone. I can't see how he's not totalled. Clint drove me to the tow yard and I cleaned him out, got all my possessions - my CDs, my mittens, my Maasai wedding necklace that hung from the rear-view mirror, my maps, and my flashlight. Poor, poor Johnny.

My neck is a little sore and the adrenalin has worn off now. I'm so bummed. When it first happened, all I could do was sob. I hyperventilated and cried until the EMTs came. I think I kept my foot pressed down on the brake for about 10 minutes after I actually came to a stop. I just cried and cried. My poor car, my poor car, it's the only thing I own, really.

I will have pictures up soon, when I can.

1 comment:

  1. Why do bad things happen to good cars? One of the great mysteries of life.

    ReplyDelete