A place to record the things that my brain comes up with.

30 January 2008

Meat

Last night a bunch of us went out to dinner at Rodizio Grill. It was good. I've been to Brazilian steakhouses before, and to nyama choma places in Kenya, and they all have the same basic plan - some side dishes, and the never-ending stream of guys bringing you meat on huge skewers. You like lamb? We have lamb. You want beef? We have beef. Three kinds. You want chicken? No problem. Chicken hearts? Have three. (No thanks.) Sausage, spicy chicken, mahi mahi . . .
All until you beg them to stop. Flip your little table indicator to red and gasp for breath. And then eat one more fried banana for dessert before you die.
I love Rodizio Grill.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm not a very good commenter, but I like that you are posting more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a part of my continuing effort to let everybody know the 'truth' about the Brazilian meat places. "Rodízio" (ho-JEE-zee-oh) basically means "buffet" in Portuguese. "Churrasco" (shoo-HA-sko) is a way of cooking meat, and a "Churrascaria" (shoo-ha-ska-REE-uh) would be a place where they sell such meat. True Churrasco is meat, almost always cow or chicken cooked on a spit over coals that is seasoned with exactly one thing: coarse salt. Nothing more, nothing less. Other things from the steakhouses might be tasty, like the spicy chicken or the mahi mahi, but it's not Churrasco.

    Real Brasilian stuff would also be too fatty for most Americans to enjoy and have too many bones. Also, chicken hearts are fabulous. I make sure I always ask for them when I go to any of those places.

    (In no way do I wish to imply that anything you said in your post was inaccurate, nor do I disagree with it. I'm just looking to help inform the world.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Random information is always welcomed here at Bloggeriness.

    What you described about churrasco is just how it is with nyama choma in Kenya - "nyama choma" just means "grilled meat."

    I think the cuts of meat with the fatty rinds were the best. Much juicier (but then I am one who likes my red meat to be, well, red). I didn't eat the fat, though.

    Maybe someday I'll get the courage for the chicken hearts. If I'm eating with people who aren't making "Temple of Doom" jokes and sound effects. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum I have wanted to go take Jared there since he served his mission in Brasil but we have never had the change to go. Glad to hear you enjoyed it@

    ReplyDelete