A place to record the things that my brain comes up with.

13 December 2006

Insurance sucks a little less.

Yesterday was a good insurance day. Shocking, I know, but it can happen. Which is not to say that I'm not waiting for the other shoe to drop here, but sometimes you take what you can get.

The day started with a call from Allstate, which is the insurer of the other car involved in the accident. Yeah, I didn't think it was insured either. Apparently the accident was reported to them at the end of November (?!) and they are now getting a hold of me. She asked if I was fine (I am), asked if I went to the doctor (I did), asked if I paid anything out of pocket for it (I didn't), asked if I had to get any prescriptions or anything (I didn't), asked if I had recovered (I have,) asked if I missed any work (I didn't) . . . and then told me she would be mailing me a check for $750 for pain and suffering.

Um, okay. Fine with me! Not a bad way to start the day.

She also asked if my car had been repaired yet. Um, no. Not as such. Nor will it be. "Oh," she says. "How much was the damage? $4000? $6000?" Actually, over $12,000. "Oh my. That's a lot." Yeah, well, Geos can do that when traveling at a high rate of speed.


Then the mail came. In the mail was a check from my insurance company for $120. Why? I have no idea. It just arrived in the mail, on its own. No explanation. Hm. It was too late in the day to call them to ask about it, so now I have that money too.

I did get another piece of mail from them over the weekend, an updated insurance document of some kind that also arrived without explanation. So I have two guesses here. Either they have refunded some of my premium because there has been no car to insure for almost two months, or they are refunding some of my premium because they have dropped my collision coverage. I honestly can't say for sure at this point. So that may not turn out to be as good as first believed, but a check for $120 is a check for $120.

Also, I returned the rental car on Monday. It was costing me $26 per day and Linda offered to let me borrow her car until my new car arrives, so I took her up on it. When I was paying the rental car place, they mentioned that the amount charged to my credit card may actually be smaller than the amount I was signing for, since the insurance company was still talking about picking up more of the tab. Keep your fingers crossed there! Even if they don't, the check from Allstate (which was totally unexpected) will more than cover all of the rental car costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment